Monday, April 26, 2010

Why are these shoes "in"?


First let me just say I don't care about the Red Sox/Yankees thing anymore, the Knicks are an afterthought until they land HGH Lebron, and I'm not really worried about the Jets even though the Boston media has already anointed them the team to beat in the AFC East. So while I admit to having a bias against guys from New York, it really has nothing to do with the sports rivalry. The people there just rub me the wrong way. For a while the catalyst was their overuse of the exclamation point. This phenomenon probably deserves its own blog, so for now I'll just say that using an exclamation point is a flagrant man law violation. Using three of them after every sentence (like a lot of New Yorkers) makes you the social/intellectual equivalentof a third grade girl.

That isn't what is irk-ing me today, though. My new issue is that New Yorkers determine the fashion trends in America and right now the are taking cues from Canada and Avril Levigne, of all places and people. I expect this kind of behaviour from the gals. They've traumatized us time and time again with dresses over jeans and crap like that so I guess wearing weird stuff is in their DNA.

But I hold guys to a higher standard in terms of what they wear. Before I launch into my disgust, I want to concede that I don't know my ass from my elbow when it comes to style. I've been sporting the same hedgehog haircut (grown out wiffle with excessive neck hair), green cargo shorts from Old Navy circa 2002, and whatever-t-shirt-is-in-my-drawer look for as long as I can remember. I usually wear a pair of sneakers or occasionally some thong sandals to finish off the outfit. Nothing fancy. Even if I don't know anything about style, though, I do know those converse shoes Avril brought back from the grave suck. And Avril sucks too for that matter. She isn't even that hot and "Complicated" is the only reason I still know her name. Yet somehow all my friends that live in-and-around New York have adopted her style in shoes. How is this possible? Remember guys, these are the shoes we all hated growing up. If your mom went for those ugly bastards instead of the Pumps or Jordan's then you were last pick at the playground. Guaranteed. So do me a favor and burn those things before they make their way to Boston and remember today its Avril...tomorrow it might be Elton.

No comments:

Post a Comment