Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Chinese British Woman?





-Brietbart- A British woman has suddenly started speaking with a Chinese accent after suffering a severe migraine, she said in comments quoted by British media Tuesday. Sarah Colwill believes she has Foreign Accent Syndrome (FAS) which has caused her distinctive West Country drawl to be replaced with a Chinese twang, even though she has never even visited the country. The 35-year-old from Plymouth, southwest England, is now undergoing speech therapy following an acute form of migraine last month which reportedly left her with a form of brain damage. “I moved to Plymouth when I was 18 months old so I have always spoken like a local. But following one attack, an ambulance crew arrived and they said I definitely sounded Chinese,” she said. “I spoke to my stepdaughter on the phone from hospital and she didn’t recognise who I was. She said I sounded Chinese. Since then, I have had my friends hanging up on me because they think I’m a hoax caller.” Colwill added: “The first few weeks of the accent was quite funny but to think I am stuck with this Chinese accent is getting me down. My voice has started to annoy me now.

Smart money says Sarah Colwill was reciting lines from The Hangover at work..."Nooo...dat Doug"..."You can suck on these Chinese nuts"...ect ect. She was probably killing it. But then her boss walked up behind her and the boss is asian. No one warned her. She rattles off another one-liner and gets nothing but blank stares. When she slowly turns around she knows she is totally screwed. Now we've all been in Sarah Colwill's shoes before. We make a joke or comment about a person or group of people, we hear crickets, we realize we have somehow offended somebody, and then we make a futile attempt to excuse what we said. It's the worst feeling in the world and trying to explain yourself usually just prolongs the awkwardness. But Sarah is not your average Jane. She doesn't panic. She doesn't apologize. She just continues to talk Chinese like it's out of her control...and it works... and now she has a free pass to talk Chinese and basically do whatever she wants because a bunch of quacks have given her disease a name. And this is why movies are so unrealistic. In pretty much every Ben Stiller movie, they'll have you believe that the white lie is a recipe for future disaster. Not true.

I actually had my own Stiller-esque situation last week. This chick at work is brutal so I was telling some kid I work with how much she annoyed me ect. He let me go on a rant about her for a while then finally interrupted to tell me it was his girlfriend. Now if I was resourceful like Sarah Colwill I would've pretended to have some sort of disease that made me make fun of all the women at the office. But instead I reacted with red ears and I just slowly backed-out from the conversation (see Kool-Aid guy from family guy). Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment