Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Quit Hooking Up

Nashville, Tennessee (CNN) -- Almost every weekend, there is a tradition called raging at Vanderbilt University. It's a recurring, drunken activity that isn't the proudest moment for student Frannie Boyle. After consuming large quantities of alcohol before a party, her night would sometimes end in making out with a stranger or acquaintance.

Casual hook ups fueled by alcohol may be the norm across college campuses, but Boyle, now a 21-year-old junior at the school, chose to stop. Her reasons to quit hooking up echo the emotional devastation of many college students, particularly girls whose hearts are broken by the hook-up scene.


"I saw it [hooking up] as a way to be recognized and get satisfaction," said Boyle, shaking her blond ponytail. "I felt so empty then."

The hook-up culture on campuses may seem more pervasive than ever, especially as media outlets, books and documentaries rush to dissect the subject, but some college women and men are saying no.

Some, like Boyle, experimented with hooking up and quit. Though she is Catholic, she says her reason for disengaging herself from the hook-up culture had more to do with the unhappiness she experienced afterward. Others influenced by religion have abstained from casual physical activity from the moment they set foot on campus.

The idea of rejecting hook-ups may not be as strange as it sounds in a generation surrounded by sex. Pop star Lady Gaga recently announced she was celibate and encouraged others to follow. In Kelly Clarkson's song "I Don't Hook Up," she addresses the dominant hook-up culture: "I do not hook up, up I go slow, so if you want me I don't come cheap."

What are the odds that Frannie Boyle looks like a mix between Carrot Top and Ugly Betty (I know just imagining that mixture made me throw up in my mouth a little bit)? If I was a gambling man, I would wager almost everything I have that Frannie did not simply decide to "Stop hooking up." Forgive me for not believing Frannie (even her name screams Kelly Osbourne look-alike doesn't it) when she says that hooking up made her feel empty, but my guess is that one of two things happened.

1. Frannie's parents opened her laptop up and saw some not too flattering pictures of their baby girl doing her best Jenna Jameson impression with half of the Lacrosse team. Rather than copping to her indiscretions, Frannie decided to play the victim, blaming the "hooking up culture" and the alcohol-fueled,"raging" that makes it sound like Tiger Woods made the wrong decision when he chose Stanford over Vanderbilt, as the reasons she went astray. I'm not buying whatever story Frannie is selling, but can't blame her for trying. Playing the innocent victim of a sex-crazed university atmosphere was actually not a bad try.

2. Frannie is so sick of not getting any ass that she has decided to try a little reverse psychology. By claiming that she is "done" with hooking up, Frannie is hoping to drum up some interest from those guys that like a challenge... Unfortunately, what Fran "the man" is underestimating is that the whole "hard to get" routine only works for hot chicks. I mean when was the last time you saw Rikki Lake or Phyllis from the office playing hard to get? Just doesn't work that way. Again can't blame Frannie for trying... when the fastball isn't working you gotta try to work in some off-speed stuff, but I think the frat boys down at Vandy are going to see right through this one.

In this case, my advice to her would be to go trolling by the science center, see if you can get an underclassmen fresh out of chem lab, and just go for it.. 50-50 shot, but its got to be better than what she's got going on now.

Other thoughts about what's eating Frannie Boyle?

1 comment:

  1. I don't think anything is eating frannie boyle anymore and that's her issue.

    If I had to give my best guess I'd say this chick was a flat out slam pig, and every bro on the campus has already been there. She can throw out the I felt empty about making out, but I'm guessing she felt empty because she hasn't been getting her daily dose of D. Maybe if she didn't give it up on the first night everynight she could pull a boyfriend, or maybe if her nickname wasn't "I like it in the fannie, Frannie", she would have a better chance at scoring a real relationship.

    Otherwise I have to agree with Simple Jack, girls at Vandy are notorious smokeshows, so this girl named Frannie (ugly name) probably isn't hot. So I got some advice for her, switch your name to francis and switch teams. Maybe you can find yourself a nice man named Tina to make you feel less empty.

    ReplyDelete