Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Phillies bullpen coach busted using binoculars



DENVERBinoculars in the bullpen? Major League Baseball isn't happy, and has told the Philadelphia Phillies to knock it off.

The Phillies insisted Wednesday they weren't trying to steal signs when bullpen coach Mick Billmeyer was caught on camera peering through binoculars from the bullpen bench at Coors Field earlier this week. Manager Charlie Manuel told The Associated Press that Billmeyer simply was watching Philadelphia catcher Carlos Ruiz set up defensively Monday night.
FSN Rocky Mountain, the flagship broadcaster of the
Colorado Rockies, showed Billmeyer using the binoculars to peer in on Colorado catcher Miguel Olivo while the Phillies were at bat in the top of the second inning. It also showed a quick image of Phillies center fielder Shane Victorino in the dugout on the bullpen phone in the top of the second. "We were not trying to steal signs," Manuel said. "Would we try to steal somebody's signs? Yeah, if we can. But we don't do that. We're not going to let a guy stand up there in the bullpen with binoculars looking in. We're smarter than that."

First I just gotta say I love Charlie Manuel's strategy here. The old "if I could lie, cheat, and steal I obviously would, but I would never be dumb enough to do it right in front of your face" defense never fails. It got OJ off when he convinced the jury he wouldn't be dumb enough to leave a bloody glove at the murder scene, and now Charlie is trying to bail out Rick Billmeyer and Shane Victorino. But I think he is telling the truth when he says his guys weren't stealing signs...just not the whole truth.


If I was running this investigation I'd have a few questions for Chuck...Like why would Billmeyer be "watching how the Phillies catcher was setting up defensively" when the Phillies were the ones up to bat? And why would he be calling up Victorino to report that information? Doesn't really add up. I have my own theory: Billmeyer was checking out the talent in the stands and relaying the coordinates to Victorino who could then locate the chicks, make eye contact, maybe throw them a ball with his number on it, and bingo-bango Bill and Shane got their entertainment for the night. I know its unthinkable....barbaric even...to think that these guys might go for some groupies on the road but when your dealing with a couple of guys with first names contained in their last names like Rick "Bill"meyer and Shane "Victor"ino you have to lower your expectations a bit. Case closed.

By the way I have a confession....I can't tell you how many times I used to rig the deck while playing War against my little brother (circa 1993). I would always make sure I had every single ace coming my way. When my little brother would get suspicious I'd be like "Bro, you think I would rig the deck so I got every ace every single time?? I'm not stupid enough to do that! You'd obviously know cuz your so smart." Worked like a charm. Thanks CourtTV.

No comments:

Post a Comment